CLEANING & MAINTENANCE
MetalMax recommends cleaning a roof annually with a low pressure washer or hose pipe for general dirt and grime.
For a deeper clean, mix five (5) gallons of warm water per one (1) cup of Tide brand clothes detergent. Be sure to rinse all areas thoroughly after cleaning with detergent.
- Check the label on the detergent to ensure it contains less than 0.05% phosphate.
- Do NOT use Tide with Bleach.
- Another option is to mix five (5) gallons of room temperature water per one (1) cup of household ammonia.
- Start at the bottom of each panel, continuing to the top.
- Use a well-soaked cloth, sponge, or very soft brush.
- Wear rubber-soled shoes to avoid scratching the metal. They’re also safer to help prevent falls from the roof.
- Rinse off panels as you go to prevent residue.
- Clean the roof on a cloudy day to avoid the panels of drying too quickly, preventing a proper rinse.
TAR OR GREASE
You can safely remove tar, grease, caulk and oils with a cloth dampened with mineral spirits. Be sure to then clean the panel with a mild detergent and heavy rinsing. Also, don’t forget to dispose of the mineral spirit cloth in a safe manner.